In order to encourage more people to enjoy the benefits of Hartford and to help promote the planned activities for the annual iQuilt presents Winterfest Hartford celebration, the City of Hartford and the Hartford Parking Authority will modify the metered parking regulations and the posted on-street parking time restrictions on the streets surrounding Bushnell Park from Friday, November 29, 2013 through Saturday, February 1, 2014.
The specific street locations are:
- Elm Street from Trinity Street to Hudson Street
- Jewell Street from Trumbull Street to Trinity Street
- Trinity Street from Elm Street to Jewell Street
The parking modification details are:
- At these designated locations, patrons may park for free during Winterfest Hartford opening day, Friday, November 29, 2013 beginning at 12:00 noon
- At these designated locations, patrons may park for free on weekdays from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., beginning Monday, December 2, 2013 through Friday January 31, 2014
- No-parking from 3:30 to 6:00 p.m. restrictions on Jewell and Trinity Streets will be lifted for the duration of Winterfest Harford from Friday, November 29, 2013 through Saturday, February 1, 2014. (Restriction remains in effect on Elm Street)
- As always, when legally parked, on-street parking in the City of Hartford is free after 6:00 p.m. on weeknights and all day on weekends.
- Parkers are reminded to take note of any limitations noted by signage in close proximity to selected on-street spaces
- Additional free off-street parking will be available after 5:00 p.m. at the State of Connecticut surface parking lots located on West Street and along Capitol Avenue, which will provide visitors with easy access to the Bushnell Park ice skating rink
- Additional paid off-street parking will be available at the ProPark surface lots located near Pulaski Circle and the LAZ parking lot located on Jewell Street, both of which are close to the rink
This will be the fourth annual Winterfest Hartford, featuring free, public ice skating seven days a week through February 1, 2014 in historic Bushnell Park. Free photographs with Santa will be available, along with $1 rides on the historic Bushnell Park Carousel on Saturdays and Sundays. Food trucks and vendors will be on-site daily.
“We would like to welcome everyone planning to attend Winterfest Hartford opening day to enjoy free, convenient parking starting at noon” said Eric Boone, CEO of Hartford Parking Authority. “We will also remove the weekday afternoon parking restrictions around the majority of Bushnell Park during the Winterfest season through February 1st, so that visitors can enjoy the convenience of parking close to the skating rink and holiday lighting display,” he added.
“This is just another way to make the capital city easily accessible for those who want to come and enjoy Winterfest Hartford,” said Mayor Pedro E. Segarra.