What’s new with on-street parking in Hartford?
- Pay-by-Plate – HPA has updated to a new software that allows motorists to purchase parking in Hartford without the need to display receipts in your car’s dashboard. The need to enter your plate number is now MANDATORY to properly park in Hartford. If a motorist enters a fake plate or no plate number at all, they will be ticketed. HPA’s parking ambassadors utilize a system that will read the plate number to determine whether the motorist has purchased parking time and when it expires. For this reason, if the motorists enters incorrect information, the system will determine the vehicle as NOT purchasing parking time and a citation will be issued.
- Although it is not necessary to display parking receipts in your car, it is highly encouraged for motorist to keep the receipts. The receipts should be kept as proof of payment, in case the motorist receives a citation. The receipt will serve as additional information in the appeal. Please note, to appeal a citation, there is a $15 fee.
- HPA has a fleet of new SUV’s to meet the high demands of growing commuters and new wave technology.
- Parking/Patrol is now weekday Monday – Friday 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. within the city commuter area(s)/paid parking and also 6 p.m. – 2 a.m. patrolling the city’s neighborhoods to ensure compliance, safety, and convenient parking.
- On-street parking in Hartford is free on most streets Monday through Friday after 6pm and on weekends. See kiosks at parking spaces for free parking availability.
- HPA’s long term goal is to help downtown businesses by creating additional curbside availability for short-term visitors and deliveries during weekdays. If you want longer-term parking (meaning longer than two hours) you are invited to park at any of our HPA garages.
Adding Time/Feeding Meter
You can only pay for additional time AFTER your time is completed! This encourages rotation of parking and making spaces available.
The HPA recommends taking note of the parking signs on each block, and asking the Parking Ambassadors for assistance if the signs are not clearly understood. Signs are used to mark restricted areas or to indicate times when parking is not allowed. Because citations happen and are a necessary part of making parking accessible for everyone, the HPA has also made citation payments and appeals easier and more convenient to resolve, including online at www.hartfordparking.com.
What’s different at HPA Garages?
- Availability: HPA operates the MAT (Main and Trumbull) Garage, which has nearly 20% of downtown Hartford’s indoor parking spaces.
- Safety: HPA is proud to set the standard for clean and safe garages, including 24-hour patrols, on-site security, and state-of-the-art lighting.
- Affordability: HPA offers the most affordable garage parking options in the City of Hartford for daily, monthly and event parking.
- Efficiency and Innovation: HPA is continually maintaining its garages, adding conveniences such as recycling stations, bicycle racks, bus stops for the Star Shuttle and Megabus, and looking for more opportunities to conserve energy at each of its facilities.