Park Smart, have a parking question? Call (860) 757-0730
- SIGNAGE IS IMPORTANT! (Please always note posted parking restrictions). Below is a quick guide on examples of common parking signs you might encounter in the City of Hartford: THESE ARE EXAMPLES ONLY!!! EACH PICTURE OF SIGNAGE DOES NOT PERTAIN TO ANY PARTICULAR AREA OR STREET. SIGNAGE IS SUBJECT TO CHANGES OR VARIATIONS!!!
Double Arrow/No Parking – These signs indicate that vehicles may NOT park at all!
Bus Stop – This location is a designated bus stop. No standing and no parking regulations apply. This means that you may NOT wait or stop anywhere in the area. You also cannot park at all.
Metered Signs – These signs represent metered parking designated during certain hours of the day indicated on the signs. Example ONLY: you are only able to park on the street between 8AM – 3:30PM for a MAXIMUM of 2 Hours. After 3:30PM, you are not allowed to park AT ALL!
No Standing – This is sign below is in conjunction with the above signage and indicates that vehicles may NOT stand (idling or parked with the vehicle occupied or not). The sign
allows you to expeditiously drop off or pick up passengers, but it doesn’t allow you to WAIT for passengers to arrive, or to load/unload merchandise.
in this location during the times posted.
Street Sweeping – These signs indicate there is street sweeping and NO PARKING is allowed during certain times of the day indicated on the sign.
No Parking – The first sign represents NO PARKING TO THE RIGHT of the sign during certain hours listed. The second sign represents NO PARKING AT ALL TO THE RIGHT of the sign.
No Standing Anytime – Sign indicates that vehicles may NOT park idling/sitting in the car with hazards on, etc. at this location. You may not wait or stop to load/unload packages or merchandise at curbside. You may stop expeditiously.
Even Signs – This sign indicates that vehicles may park on the even side of the street during certain days and times. There is NO PARKING during days/times not specified on the signs. Parking during days/times not specified on the sign will result in your vehicle being towed.
Odd Signs – This sign indicates that vehicles may park on the odd side of the street during certain days and times. There is NO PARKING during days/times not specified on the signs. Parking during times not days/times not specified on the sign will result in your vehicle being towed.
Yellow No Parking Sign – These are Temporary no parking sign used for construction, events, and for traffic/police matters indicating NO PARKING AT ALL while posted.
- Park at downtown meters for only $1.00/hour (2-hour max. weekdays, generally 8am-6pm unless otherwise posted please read all signage carefully)
- Use credit card, coins, or Park, Shop & Dine card available @ thehartfordstore.weebly.com
- Secured Garages are available to park as an option also please see the parking garage info located on the main page.
Proper parking techniques
To avoid getting a parking citation, properly park your vehicle like the following examples:
- Read ALL parking signs CAREFULLY and in FULL.
- ALWAYS Park inside the lines
- Do not cross the line more than 4 inches or you may be liable to a citation!!!
- Pay the meter according to your stay and renew time when needed.
- Do not park in a loading zone, in or near/close to a driveways, on pedestrian ramps/crosswalks, or in a bus lane, etc.
- Do not park on curb/sidewalk
- Please NOTE: For large vehicles, over-sized vehicles and/or big body trucks- off street convenient parking is available at the MAT garage, Chapel street Lot, Main street Lot, Sheldon street Lot and the Library Lot ALL located in the downtown area.
When is Parking Free!
- Free parking on most streets Monday through Friday after 6pm and on weekends. See kiosks at parking spaces for free parking availability.