Park Smart, have a parking question? Call (860) 757-0730
- SIGNAGE IS IMPORTANT! (Please always note posted parking restrictions). Below is a quick guide on common parking signs you might encounter in the City of Hartford:
Double Arrow/No Parking – These signs indicate that vehicles may NOT park at all!
Bus Stop – This location is a designated bus stop. No standing regulations apply. This means that you may NOT wait or stop at curbside. You may also not park at all.
Metered Signs – These signs represent metered parking designated during certain hours of the day indicated on the signs. Example: you are only able to park on the street between 8AM – 3:30PM for a MAXIMUM of 2 Hours. After 3:30PM, you are not allowed to park AT ALL!
Street Sweeping – These signs indicate there is street sweeping and NO PARKING is allowed during certain times of the day indicated on the sign.
No Parking – The first sign represents NO PARKING TO THE RIGHT of the sign during certain hours listed. The second sign represents NO PARKING AT ALL TO THE RIGHT of the sign.
No Standing Anytime – Sign indicates that vehicles may NOT park idling/sitting in the car with harzards on, etc. at this location. You may not wait or stop to load/unload packages or merchandise at curbside. You may stop to expeditiously drop off or pick up passengers.
No Standing – Sign indicates that vehicles may NOT stand in this location during the times posted.
Even Signs – This sign indicates that vehicles may park on the even side of the street during certain days and times. There is NO PARKING during days/times not specified on the signs. Parking during days/times not specified on the sign will result in your vehicle being towed.
Odd Signs – This sign indicates that vehicles may park on the odd side of the street during certain days and times. There is NO PARKING during days/times not specified on the signs. Parking during times not days/times not specified on the sign will result in your vehicle being towed.
Yellow No Parking Sign – Temporary no parking sign indicating NO PARKING AT ALL while posted.
- Park at downtown meters for only $1.00/hour (2-hour max. weekdays, 8am-6pm unless otherwise posted)
- Use credit card, coins, or Park, Shop & Dine card (thehartfordstore.weebly.com)
- To park more than 2 hours, use one of downtown’s many parking garages or lots
Proper parking techniques
To avoid getting a parking citation, properly park your vehicle like the following:
- Read parking signs and ensure the area is designated for public parking
- Park inside the lines
- Do not cross the line more than 4 inches
- Pay the meter according to your stay
- Do not park in a loading zone, in driveways, on pedestrian ramps, or in a bus lane, etc.
- Do not park on curb/sidewalk
- Please NOTE: For large vehicles, oversized vehicles and/or big body trucks- off street convenient parking is available at the MAT garage, Chapel street Lot, Main street Lot, Sheldon street Lot and the Library Lot ALL located in the downtown area.
- On Nights (after 6pm) & Weekends parking is FREE! (except on Windsor Street)